13th Pennsylvania Infantry Eagle Drum
PAINTED EAGLE DRUM IDENTIFIED TO 13TH PENNSYLVANIA INFANTRY
Eagle drum measures 16"x16"x13.75". It does not have heads or ropes. There is a standard Federal Eagle painted on the front, colorful and nicely done. In the eagle's beak is a streamer with pre-painted "Reg. U.S. Infantry" in white. Carved into the wood in front of that lettering is "13. PV"; after "Reg". is carved "Co. G." There is a tack pattern around the peephole on the side.
The 13th PA Volunteers mustered in at Harrisburg on April 25, 1861, and served in York, Chambersburg, Greencastle and Williamsport, PA. The drum came from Bedford County, which is where Co. G of the regiment was recruited. The regiment also escorted Rhode Island Battery to Martinsburg, VA, and after service at Harper's Ferry returned to Harrisburg, mustering out on August 6, 1861.
The Horse Soldier Archives
Additional photos of the same drum from Michael Simens described only as:
556 - CIVIL WAR DRUM, IDENTIFIED TO COMPANY G OF THE 13TH PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEERS.