Ludwig ca. 1920 with Renaissance-like artwork
(drum Donated to the Percussive Arts Society by Velma Lee Williams)
This highly ornate drum, measuring 17" x 14", was manufactured by Ludwig & Ludwig in Chicago, Illinois, most likely in the 1920s. The drum has hoops inlaid with pearl, double-tension tube lugs, and three hand-painted scenes on the shell. Although the paint has deteriorated, one can tell that each scene depicted some type of Renaissance setting. The strainer is of simple design that does not allow the snares to be turned off.